Te Irirangi Planting

This morning we were busy making Auckland a better place. 

Together with Room 12, we went to plant over a hundred small trees. These trees will grow up around the stream and help to make it a healthy place to live for the local fish and eels. 

"I saw plants that I haven't seen before." Zyriana.

"It was pretty hard to dig all the holes for the plants." Caitlin. 

"My class and I learnt how to plant a tree." Tia. 

"Zyriana and I were planting some plants and we saw some worms." Porscha. 







We found out about some of the native fish and eels and how close they are to being extinct. We found out about water quality and tested it using a couple of different methods.

We learnt that plants help to keep the water cooler which improves the oxygen levels. It also attracts insects which make a lovely meal for some of the fish. 


The only fish we saw in the stream today were big orange carp. We found out that they are a pest because they take over our streams by laying thousands of eggs which means over crowding. They eat the native fish and muddy the waters. 


"I never knew that eels could get so big. We saw a photo of an eel that was nearly 2 meters long." Elder

"It was surprising how I learnt about the different kinds of eels and it used to be all yucky but now it is cleaner." Fatu

"We learnt that eels can go to the Pacific Ocean." Jacob. 

"I saw how some people treated the rivers and streams and drains badly." Vivienne
"I learnt that eels can live hundreds of years." David.

Comments

Post a Comment