ANZAC Day


Image result for ww1 trenches

This week we have been learning about ANZAC Day, World War 1 and what life in the trenches would have been like. 

You can use the following link to find out information about the trenches yourself. 
Life in the Trenches

Here is a sample of the writing we have done this week. 

Dear mum

I know I will come back but if I don';t I just want to say I love you and thank you for those ANZAC biscuits, they were delicious. I was hoping you would make some more. 

Gunshots! The foe got a shell to my helmet but I'm alright. 

This  place is full of dangerous horrors. I won't ever come back. A German tried to shoot me and that's how I got a hole in my helmet. 

ay yi yi, the bucket is gross and smelly.. Now I regret what I said every day about the toilet man. That job is nasty. You don't ever want to get near that bucket. 

Some of us were chosen to go to war and others just wanted to join. I was chosen. 

Love from Pasha. 

"Bang, Bang, Bang" as the Germans targeted our trench. Filthy rocks began to fall down at us. My face was filthy and dirty. I could smell the smoke from my team mates. I was walking down the trench and I saw one German target us. I pulled out my gun, pushed the trigger and shot him. Unfortunately I didn't follow orders so our captain ordered me to go out of the trench and get killed. 

I got nervous like butterflies were in my tummy. No guns aimed or shot. "Well there's no one there!" yelled the captain. He was as angry as an angry gorilla. 

I touched the ladder as I was going down into the trench. I was nervous and worried that I would fall. 

Written By Faith T

"OK tomorrow." We are in the real war. We all need to clean the guns. The day moves on. "Get up!" Shouted a big loud man. "You men get your guns." 
"We are on it boss!" I heard a big gun fire. It was loud like a frightening monster. I've seen more than 100 dead bodies and they are all new Zealanders. 

Written by April 

"Boom bang!" the deafening sound of gunshots rang out continuously. My feet were dipped in muddy, nasty bacteria. I was sitting down ready to be told to work. The captain swiftly walked over. He demanded me to collect the buckets and empty them. My mind filled with disgusting images but hey, its better than having to go fight and risk my life. 


After taking all of the buckets out I went to lie down. My spine immediately felt an excruciating shock and a thought rapidly struck my mind... I wasn't gonna get a good sleep. "Kaboom!" A humongous bomb woke me up in the blink of an eye. I jumped out of my bed and swept on my gas mask. "Fight!" the commander screamed. Everyone picked up their rifles and went to fight in No Man's Land. Thousands of the soldiers dead bodies were left to rot. I could see a horrific sight... soldier after dead soldier were falling in the line of duty. 

Written by Vai 

This is our amazing Anzac display: 




Comments